Monday, June 15, 2009

Monsoon

So I was hoping to post some pictures of Malaysia but it's going to have to wait so instead I will just provide a quick update... Kuala Lumpur was a really cool city. Spent 4 nights in the Chinatown district shopping for knock off everything and drinking overpriced beers at night. I met a ton of really great people and my only real complaint with the city was that it was too expensive. I visited the Petronas towers and an amazing aquarium, but mostly spent my days around Chinatown.

I left KL for an island to the north called Penang, the food there was amazing! I then spent five nights on a large island further north, close to Thailand called Langkowi. Again it was way too expensive for me but it was beautiful none the less. Most of my days were spent on the beach and swimming in the sea. The island was duty free however so beers were incredibly cheap. It is the off season right now though so almost all the beach bars were empty in the evenings and there were very few people there in general. I found some great people staying at my guesthouse and we all decided to tour the island on motor bikes and visited the main tourist spots.

As far as culture goes Langkowi didn't have much of it, the Lonely Planet described it as an escape from SE Asia and they were right. It was hard to find local food and the western food was sub par.

I just arrived in Thailand yesterday to a small beach town called Krabi on the far south of the Andaman coast. It's very nice but again seeing as how it's the off season there are very few people here. Went out to a bar last night and had fun playing games with other travelers trying to pick out which of the Thai's were lady boys. Yikes!

So I guess I was spoiled on Langkowi, it was sunny and 35 degrees everyday, hardly what you would expect durring the monsoon, but here in Krabi it's been raining off and on since I arrived. Monsoon rain, not Victoria rain.

Jeff, my buddy from UVic, arrives tomorrow. Pretty stoked to do some drinking with him! Thanks for the emails everyone.

Steve

1 comment:

  1. i have a great story of one of my friends that wasn't sure of lady boys. kinda scary. poor little guy.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment, no need to sign in but leave your name so I know who you are!