Sunday, March 22, 2009

Calcutta

If I had just arrived in Calcutta and it was my first day in India I would seriously be freaking out right now. But I know India. I love it here. We see so much about places like this at home, on western TV, and think that they must be so impoverished and filthy and a real dreadful place to live. Poverty is staring me in the face. And it is filthy. But there is also real beauty here you just have to know where to look for it, or maybe you just have to want to see it.

Each of the major cities I've visited in India; Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai and now Calcutta, have a unique character to them and I feel comfortable in each for different reasons. Here in Calcutta, the street food is what drew me in immediately. There are street vendors cooking up food on every corner and they all smell so great. Yesterday I had a fresh made grilled sandwich and some mango juice and this morning we had an egg sandwich and some chai. Amazing.

I completed 8 dives on Havelock in the Andaman's. Diving is freaking crazy. I love it! I saw everything from stingrays to baby Nemo fish. Definitely one of the highlights of my trip so far.

Anyways, since I keep getting shit about not posting pictures here are a bunch from the last month or so... I will provide a better update soon. Thanks to all of you who have been emailing me. It's so great to hear from people at home.


Catching up with friends in Kodaicannal. Miss you guys.

The Indians love to be in pictures with us so we thought it was high time we got into some pictures with them!


Pilgrams paying their respects. Kanyakummari, Tamil Nadu.


Not all Indians are Hindu's. Sometimes it takes places like this to remind you of that. This is a magnificent church I visited, also in Kanyakummari.



The most southern tip of India. Kanyakummari, Tamil Nadu.




View of the beach from our cliff resort in Varkala, Kerala.



A relaxing canoe ride through the Keralan backwaters.



Me and Jess on a backwater tour outside Alleppey, Kerala.




Sometimes...this is India. Our bathroom at Paradise Beach, Karnataka.




Palolem Beach, Goa.




Just one of the stellar sunsets in Palolem, Goa.





A small church we found when exploring around Anjuna, Goa.




Our beach accommodation in Anjuna, Goa.




Fishing boats anchored off the coast in Anjuna, Goa.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome colours in your photos. Looks and sounds so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds amazing Steve!! Keep having the best time ever! Are you headed for south east asia anytime soon??
    ~Cheryl

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment, no need to sign in but leave your name so I know who you are!