Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Incredible India

First off, sorry to those of you that I told I would post on here often and then go a week without writing anything new. I am in Jaisalmer now, a small desert town in western India not too far from the Pakistan border. It is beautiful here. I just finished a 3 day trek through the Thar desert on the back of a Camel. This was interesting.

After leaving Delhi we went to Agra to check out the Taj Mahal. Absolutely stunning. The city of Agra however, not so much. The harassment was almost unbearable. Walking down any street in that city is impossible without people coming up to you trying to sell you something, drive you somewhere or be your 'guide' around some of the sites.

At times it seemed some people were more interested in photographing Jess than the Taj. From asking her to be in pictures with them or their family to straight up walking up to her and video taping her. We even had incidents of parents forcing their children to shake her hand. So strange.

Jaipur followed Agra. A much nicer city but still more of the same. Stares. Constant stares from every direction. Although I'm starting to get use to it. We took an Indian bus from Agra, 6 hours on that thing was a real experience!

All in all things are good. The locals are really interesting people it's hard to describe some of the things I have learned from them. Unfortunately I'm becoming jaded merely a week in as more often than not what they have said in the guide book is true: "anyone actively trying to befriend you should be considered a tout." Now when I hear someone speak to me I rarely acknowledge them. I hope with time this will change...we probably need to get off the tourist circuit.

That being said, I have met some amazing people and have learned so much without even scratching the surface. The Indians are wonderful and this country and her people are more beautiful than I could have imagined.

I will post pictures soon.

2 comments:

  1. Stephen.. It sounds like your having an amazing adventure. I miss lots and can't wait to see your pictures. Stay safe.

    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you are getting into the traveling groove...so great! Cynicism of who to believe is disheartening, but much less disheartening than getting ripped off time and time again...

    We had a similar experience as Jess in China with people being obsessed with my little brother...they were perplexed by his olive coloured skin and would do anything to touch him. A bit overwhelming for a 12 year old!

    Anyways, it is all sounding amazing - can't wait to read more.
    Take care and have fun!!
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment, no need to sign in but leave your name so I know who you are!